gpr-forum.com

Forum dedicated to Ground Penetrating Radar technology
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:44 am 

Now, I’m doing research related to the GPR. GPR that I use in here is made from Mala Geoscience with easy locator brand, with a frequency 500 MHz. I use GPR to detect the buried pipe.
What I want to ask in here is what friendly user software to processing and interpretation the GPR Data.
(In here I include too one of the data in format segy – actually the output data from this GPR is image (.jpeg) and I convert that data to seg-y). Maybe in here someone who can help me with doing the processing and interpretation the data, so I can compare it later with m work. If not objection, please explain the processing step in that software)

Thanx.

:)

PS: Sorry for my bad english language

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi hendraparley,
I tried to open your file, but it seem to be that the archive is broken. WinRAR gives an error
"Unexpected end of archive".
Please post a correct file and we will help you out.
Regards,

http://www.geoscanners.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:13 am 

Oh, sorry for the broken data. I send back the data. Actually I had been give some filter for that data directly using the device (GPR), so it looks a little bit smoother. In this experiment, there are pipe made from PVC, with a diameter (approximately) 11 cm and located in the middle of this radargram sectional, and the pipe in the depth (approximately) 0.2 – 0.3 m. But, when I viewed in the radargram, I was little difficult to identify which is the pipe. With this post, I include too the same data, but with little filtering.

I am very grateful for your attention. Thx Reinaldo

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:08 am 
Site Admin

Hi hendraparley,
I don't know what's happening, but I got corrupted segy files again! The jpg was OK though in the archive, please check again after compression
something is going crazy there.
I attached a PDF here so you can see how a pipe should look like, it shows a shallow pipe crossing a gravel road in a parking lot, the bottom of the road is
also easy to identify.
Please check your archiver and re-post the data.
Best regards,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:20 am 

Oh, I'm sorry again. I don't know with the data, but maybe is the effect from converting the data from image to segy data format using matlab. A moment ago I had try to get other output in seg-y using vista (with input data from data which has converted using matlab). And in here the data can appear.

Again, I just can say thank you very much for your attention and your .pdf also. Actually, I have learn a little bit about this GPR, but maybe in your .pdf the condition is ideal, so the hyperbol look very clearly. But in my case, the pipe burried near the paving road and have small diameter, making me hard to detection where the pipe.Various filter and many step, I had been tried in ReflexW, Vista, and HRS, but the result, still not statisfy. Maybe because I'm newbie in here (it is the first time I'm using that software).

Thx again Reinaldo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:34 am 

I' m sory. I don't know with the WinRar. But try this one (compressed with WinZip). I hope it can be opened!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

hendraparley wrote:
Oh, I'm sorry again. I don't know with the data, but maybe is the effect from converting the data from image to segy data format using matlab.

No, it has to do with the compression program you were using. I got now the zip file you made and it worked fine.
Quote:
A moment ago I had try to get other output in seg-y using vista (with input data from data which has converted using matlab). And in here the data can appear.

you can download a free viewer from here, it supports most formats:
http://www.geoscanners.com/gprsoft.htm

Quote:
Again, I just can say thank you very much for your attention and your .pdf also. Actually, I have learn a little bit about this GPR, but maybe in your .pdf the condition is ideal, so the hyperbol look very clearly.

No, the condition is not ideal, but then again is not that bad neither. First of all, it is a man made structure, a road, secondly, the conductivity of the soil is around 3 mS which is far from the excellent conditions we have here in Scandinavia, but still not so bad. Finally, this is a large sewage pipe not a water pipe.
Quote:
But in my case, the pipe burried near the paving road and have small diameter, making me hard to detection where the pipe.Various filter and many step, I had been tried in ReflexW, Vista, and HRS, but the result, still not statisfy.

If I may comment, I'd say you used too low frequency for these shallow small pipes and too much gain, the signal is clipping heavily on the top. Do you by any chance have the raw data? You can post the rd3 file, then I could give it a try if you like.
Quote:
Maybe because I'm newbie in here (it is the first time I'm using that software).

Would you like a demo of GPRSoft PRO? if so, send an email using the form here:
http://www.geoscanners.com/gprsoft.htm
Reflexw is an excellent software, but for the newcomer it might be a little bit intimidating.

Quote:
Thx again Reinaldo

you are very welcome!
Regards,

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:42 pm 

Quote:
If I may comment, I'd say you used too low frequency for these shallow small pipes and too much gain, the signal is clipping heavily on the top. Do you by any chance have the raw data? You can post the rd3 file, then I could give it a try if you like.

The output data from the device (Mala GPR) is only .jpeg format data, so I don't have .rd3 format data.
But thanks for your helping. I will try to use your recomended software. Thx Reinaldo

Best Regrads

Hendraparley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:18 am 

Hi Reinaldo,

Since couple months I'm using GPR it is RIS system made by italien IDS with 400MHz and 1.6GHz antennas. What I am interested mainly is measuring the thickness of layers on the railways and roads. I have made several tests but until now I did not receive satisfying me results.
I have attached file from one survey one the railway it's a raw data around 200m from 400MHz antenna. The acquisition was performed in proper way, we created temporary trolley on which we set all system. The antenna was around 20cm above the ground I know that it's ground-coupled antenna but in Customer service I've been told that it shouldn't be problem. The railtrack was just renewed so the layers in my opinion should be easily visible at least the layer of ballast and subballast.
My question is can you please check the data and what is the best picture you can get from this survey? For sure you have more experience and maybe you could help me. After my processing the picture is not so obvious and there is still a lot of noise and multiple reflections so I'm not sure where is the transition. I'm using a Gred3D software provided by producer and week ago I ordered also a trail version of GPRSoft.

So, please check my file and if you succeed to get good result in your opinion explain me just in few steps how to do this.

Best regards
Karol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:43 am 

Hi Karol,
I know that you asked for help from Reinaldo, but perhaps this helps as well.
I played a bit with it in GPRSoft and I think that it can be satisfactory (see attached pdf), but I would strongly advise you to:
1. Don't trust the sales people! They will say anything to keep you as a customer (even an unsatisfied one). I'm not familiar with the IDS equipment but till now every ground coupled antenna I met had to oblige the 1/10 of wavelength rule - in your case not above 7,5cm. You can read more about it here
http://gpr-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=726.

2. Your data seems to be heavily undergained - so you might want to check gain settings for further surveys.

3. I've done some small surveys on the railroad as well and it helps if you keep the antenna at an angle to the rail beams (wooden or concrete supports for the rail - sorry, I'm not a good english speaker) - in other words don't pass them perpendiculary.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
to Reinaldo: this should perhaps be moved/moded to a new topic.
Best regards and happy easter,