gpr-forum.com

Forum dedicated to Ground Penetrating Radar technology
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:58 pm 
Site Admin

Does anyone knows about a freeware user friendly software to generate the input data into GprMax? Or for that matter, does anyone knows about a software to visualize the output of it?
GprMax is a ground penetrating radar simulator, freeware and available from here:
http://www.gprmax.org.
Regards
Reinaldo

http://www.geoscanners.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:46 pm 

Hello, I have new,
I use GPRMAx and other GPR-simulator.
What you want?
Donato CAmpobasso Italy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:47 am 

Hi algol,

What is your other GPR-simulator do you have? Please share it. Thank you.

BR//
freqzt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:25 am 
Site Admin

algol wrote:
Hello, I have new,
I use GPRMAx and other GPR-simulator.
What you want?
Donato CAmpobasso Italy

Well, the idea was to get some GUI. With that it would have been possible to create the input files "easier" and to visualize the output files in a more friendly way.
In the GPRMAX website the creator Mr. Giannopoulos says "I have not developed a GUI for GprMax as it was developed to work on UNIX mainframes and not run interactively. " This is from 2004. I have used the simulator and I like it a lot, however changing the geometry or the layer information is tedious to say the least. If this could be done in an easier way I think it would be more acceptable for a wider audience.
So, basically a Graphic User Interface for GPRMAX is what I was looking for. I talked to a very good friend of mine that happens to be a very good software engineer as well, and tried to convince her to write a "freeware" GUI for GPRMAX. For the moment she hasn't had the time, but I don't loose my hopes!
My best regards,

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm 

GeoAdmin wrote:
So, basically a Graphic User Interface for GPRMAX is what I was looking for. I talked to a very good friend of mine that happens to be a very good software engineer as well, and tried to convince her to write a "freeware" GUI for GPRMAX. For the moment she hasn't had the time, but I don't loose my hopes!
My best regards,

please let us know!
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:47 am 

The other GPR simulator are XFDTD no-free opensource (in Windows with graphycal interface), Seismic Unix and FDTD.
I use Seismic Unix in Linux also for some GPR processing it's open-source and only command-line, very difficult. In Linux there are another simutator tool FDTD (I have an old version) and I don't have information about develop of this project. In GPRmax there are a limit (respect Seismic Unix) that I write below.
For GPRmax:
I Have developed an Excel tool, for insert input data file and visualize the graphical model. Now I develop in JAVA a graphycal interface of GPRMAx.
In GPRMAX it's more important to respect
- the difference bitween the cell allocate and space allocate
- the discretization rule : the rule of thumb, the absorbing boundary and dissipation EM wave.
Limit: If you don't balance quasi-exactly the Domain, spatial discetization (dx,dy) and time window (total number cells allocate, target dimension, frequency excitation respect target, total traces) you will never get a simulation, but only horizontal strips without any reflection.
You make so many tests modifying the parameters of the examples furnished for believing. In the examples there always had limited domain (2 m in x 0,8m in y), but if you try to fix a domain of 3m in x and 4m in y some days it will be needed for finishing the simulation (I have tried it) and it risks not to be satisfied. Now I would insert in the Excel tool a condition for insert quasi-exactly Domain, dx,dy, time window, and tx-rx steps.
Best reg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:08 pm 

Hi algol,

What is the version XFDTD do you have? I have EMPro 2009 from Agilent and I think it's very similar with XFDTD 7. I've asked with the Remcom engineer. Could you explain how to simulate GPR using XFDTD? Give some example is very good. Could you share your excel tool for GPRMAX? I really need it because I've a research about SFCW-GPR and I need the modeling simulation. Thank you.

BR//

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:28 am 

I have recently started using GPR systems and came across GPR Max. It looks pretty useful, but it does need a GUI. As I know a bit of Java programming, I was wondering if I should make a simple GUI for it. Being Java, it might even be runnable on multiple platforms (though I only use Windows).

If anyone wants to give me a little input on what they want out of a GUI, feel free. I will try to keep it simple and use Java's built-in graphics.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi CJV and welcome to our forums!
Your offer is very welcome and generous, putting time of our own to help other people is something that deserves lots of respect.
Well, as you have tried yourself GPR Max you probably have already found out that while a very useful tool one can hardly call it a user friendly one.
The idea is to have a GUI that would allow the user to enter all the parameter for GPR Max, use a wrapper to call and set up the simulator on and when it is done present the results back in a easy to understand way, namely a B-Scan (Linescan, radargram, profile or whatever other name it has).
How about this? does it sound doable in Java? I bet it does, but I guess it is lots of work as well. Please let us know if you have something that you would like us to test or if you need any help that someone here can provide.
Please keep us posted on your progress.
Best luck to you!

Post subject: GprMax input file
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:35 pm 

Hi
I am very new to Gprmax and trying to run a sample file.
I put my gprmax commands into a text file called "abc.txt" (created by Notepad).
When I run
C:\Gpr\gprmax2d abc.txt
it gives me "Model Input file can not be opened. Try another name" message .
My gprmax2d executable file and abc.txt files are under the same directory.
I could not figure out what is wrong.
Can anybody help me please.
Regards.